Monday, June 10, 2013

Two for the Price of One

Written 10 June 2013:

Greetings!!!

Okay so this week was super awesome. 

#1 Today my zone went to the temple to do a session and as we were leaving the temple we walked by a little girl and her mom who were sitting by the fountain and the mom pointed at us and said, "Look honey, missionaries!" The little girl looked at us and said, "WOW1 They are beautiful superheros!!" Seriously my heart melted!! I have never felt more important in my entire life! 

#2 On Thursday Hermana Shannon and I were teaching an "investigator," our teacher, about the Book of Mormon. Hermana Shannon had been having a really hard time that day because she didn't feel well and she was missing her family so she just sat there and didn't really say much (which I understand). So I was basically teaching this lesson by myself all in Spanish and I was nervous because I didn't know what to say next. So I said a little prayer in my head that I would know what to say. And I got the impression to read the scripture Ether 12:27 and bear my testimony about it. [Ether 12:27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness.  I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. After I was done I looked over at Hermana Shannon and she was bawling. She said that was just what she needed to hear and that it was an answer to her prayers. The spirit was so strong. I was so grateful that I shared that scripture and that I could do that for Hermana Shannon.

Okay so something really cool that's going to happen!! So I'm doing the MTC choir and it's like the best thing ever. I swear there is nothing more powerful than a group of missionaries singing. IDK, maybe that's just me. So at choir practice yesterday the director told us that he has amazing news. He said that WE ARE SINGING IN THE MARRIOTT CENTER on the 23rd of June for the apostles and the prophet! And it's going to be a live broadcast so you guys should watch for me on TV! Yeah, I'm basically going to be famous. But really how cool is that? It's for like a special missionary conference they are holding. The rumor is that they are going to announce some big news, but that's just the rumor around here at the MTC and people don't get out much here so....haha. But yeah, so watch for me! It's going to be amazing there are about 1,500 missionaries in the choir....I know right?
So we sang, "We are as the Armies of Helaman" yesterday at the devotional and it was the most powerful thing in the entire world. They changed the words a little bit (probably to make us all cry). So the part where it says, "And we will be the Lord's missionaries to bring the world His truth," they changed it to, "And we are now the Lord's missionaries to bring the world His truth." Seriously, there wasn't a dry eye in the room. I'm getting the chills right now just thinking about it. Listen to that song and change the words. It's incredible! Also we sang, "A Child's Prayer" and we did the whole thing where you divide the room in half and one half sings the first verse and the other half sings the second verse you know? Ahh, it was amazing. Music here is so incredible.
THEY HAVE CHERIE SALAD HERE. It rocks.  I get it like everyday because it just makes me feel good. Love it. It's a little piece of home. I miss all of you so much. Thanks for all the letters, and DearElders. I have been so blessed. I am so lucky to have this gospel in my life. Being here at the MTC has been such a blessing and I know that this is what I am supposed to do. I love this gospel and the peace and hope that it can bring to every person no matter where you are in life. You can always pray to Heavenly Father. Always. He loves you so much. LOVE YOU ALL.
Love
Hermana St John

That was her email today.  She also sent a letter, probably written on June 3rd, and said we could post it on this blog if we wanted to.  So here it is:

Family!

Okay, so this morning was very stressful for me because I had to write a long email to you guys! How did I do? Seriously, nothing stresses me out more. You know that.  What am I saying.  That's actually really funny because I'm writing you right now. But this is a more relaxed setting because I'm not being timed. We only have an hour to email. So write me and tell me if you got it! And if you want me to say anything else or if you have any questions.  

I am sitting outside right now on a bench and it's a BEAUTIFUL day. P-days rock! We (my zone) went to the temple together this morning. It was an amazing start to the day. I know Mom was there. I feel her here all the time, almost as strongly as if she were walking right next to me holding my hand. I think she likes it here.  

Also, the food is really good! My favorite thing is the wraps! Yom.  They are so good! Today me and my zone had a picnic outside together. There are about 30 people in my zone and there are 8 people in my district. My zone is made up of a couple of districts, including mine. My whole zone is Spanish speaking but we are going all over the world. My companion is going to the same mission as me so I will probably see her sometimes! I (Jeff just walked by. I see him 100 times a day.) Anyway, I LOVE my zone. We are all so close. We eat every meal together. We even have our own table. Yeah, we are "that" zone. 

So we had fast and testimony meeting yesterday with our zone and it was incredible. Some people in my zone have been here for 5 weeks and they bore their testimonies purely in Spanish and it was so inspiring. I mean I can bear my testimony in Spanish but it's basic stuff.  Theirs were so deep!  So that's my goal by 5 weeks! Wow! I'm realizing how much stuff I forgot to tell you in the email. I wish I could have had more time! 

It's about 2:00 right now and I don't have to be anywhere until 3:30! Wahoo! Free time! Anyway, me and Hermana Shannon have four other roommates other than us. And they leave tomorrow so we get four new roommates tomorrow.  That should be fun! 

Okay, so one last thing. My district is awesome too! There is me and Hermana Shannon, Hermana Jones & her companion Hermana Barlow and then we have Elder Moore & Elder Arrington and Elder Smith & Elder Deefreze. I basically spend 24/7 with these people. Our district president came and talked to us and said, "This is your new family," and it really is!  We are with them from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.! Good thing I LOVE them all.  Elder Smith knows Mason Paxman! They were friends in school.  Small world, right?

Anyway, I hope sending pictures starts to work! Send me another memory card for my camera!  LOVE YOU GUYS! THE CHURCH IS TRUE.  

Love,
Hermana St. John

3 comments:

  1. Well you seem to have a gift for making me cry too. You have had so many tender experiences and I thank you for sharing them with us. You have a gift of expression that makes me feel you are right beside me letting me know what is going on. I loved that little story of the little girl who thinks you are Beautiful Superheros. I do too.

    There is nothing like the music of missionaries at the MTC. I'm so glad you joined the choir. I think that may be why Cherie likes it there so much. You are singing and loving it. We will watch for you on the 23rd.

    So fun for you to run into someone who knows Mason. I am anxious to see some of the photos you have taken. People love them on blogs.

    I love you and you uplift and inspire me with your email and letters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. I really shouldn't read your letters at work. It looks ridiculous to anyone who walks by and sees me boo-hoo-ing. Seriously!!! I just want to read them over and over though, because I love hearing about everything you are are doing SO MUCH. You are so expressive and just FUN!! I love the details. Anyway, THANK YOU for writing and sharing it with us. I can't wait to see more pictures too. What I really want to do is be in the Marriott Center when you guys sing. Holy cow. I totally agree that there is nothing in this world like a group of missionaries singing their hearts out. Music brings a person closer to God that almost anything, I think.

    Anyway, take care my beautiful superhero. I feel so lucky to be your aunt!!!

    Loves,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katelyn,
    I get chills every time I read your messages home. I am so thrilled with the happy, pleasant tone of your letters. What a blessing it I to be where everyone feels just about the same way you do. We will look for you at the Marriott Center for the special meeting. It was mentioned in our meetings last week, but not much was said about it. It is going to be something special about missionaries. Should be an incredible experience for you. Love the change of just a few words to give a hymn new meaning..."We are now......
    Love,
    G-Pa

    ReplyDelete