Monday, June 3, 2013

Spanish is So Hard!


From: Katelyn St John [mailto:katelyn.st.john@myldsmail.net]
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 11:57 AM
 
Okay so basically I haven't stopped smiling since I got to the MTC. Okay there have been a few times....but seriously I have been so happy. This has been such an amazing experience so far. My companion's name is Hermana Shannon (Yeah I know it's a first name, I have told her). She is sooo sweet. She is 19 as well and is such a great companion. She is having a really really hard time becuase she misses her family so much. I mean I don't blame her. So that has been kind of a challange becuase she gets so sad that she doesn't really want to do anything else. But you know what I love her with all my heart. And it's good for me too becuase I need to work on being more compassionate with people and she is definetely helping me in that area. Love her.

So probably one of the best things so far has been getting my name tag. Seriously though. Every morning right when I wake up I get dressed and put on my name tag and just stare at myself in the mirror. (Okay I just realized that probably sounds really vain.) But I do becuase I can't believe that I am finally here and that I am really a missionary. That name tag motivates me as I look at myself in the mirrior wearing it every morning and He reminds me why I'm here and who I'm doing this for. I LOVE MY NAME TAG.

Okay, so I have seen so many people I know here! I see Elder Derricott all the time and he always makes my day. Gotta love Jeff. And I have seen Hermana Nelson, Elder Clawson, Sister Schwab, Sister Schmutz, Sister Giles, and Sister Crowell. I took some pictures with some of them so I will try and send them! This whole e-mail thing is very stressful haha. One reason I know Heavenly Father is watching over me is because when I'm feeling really down like I'll never learn the language or I miss my family and friends, I see someone I know and it makes my whole day better! It really is such a tender mercy to see a familiar face. You don't see alot of them here in the MTC but when you do IT'S LIKE CHRISTMAS.

Oh and thank you to everyone who has written me dearelders and e-mails and sent me letters. That is also a tender mercy and your e-mails, dearelders, and letters make all the difference. It makes my life when I get something from you guys! Plus I feel really popular for getting mail! haha One day I got 8 letter so my district thinks I'm way popular. OH yeah so your dearelders work!

Okay so remember how my address is weird and I thought I was going to live in some random place not in the MTC? Well I live on MTC campus so I don't know why my address is so weird! I think it's becuase I'm Spanish speaking and everyone I have written in the MTC has been Engish speaking and they put them in different appartments but I could be wrong! But yes I am on the MTC campus.

Okay SO SPANISH IS SO HARD. I didn't realize how hard the language was going to be. On Friday we taught our first "investigator" His name is Efrian (you have to say it with a Spanish accent). We taught in all Spanish and Efrian doesn't speak any English. So yeah, it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Luckily the Holy Ghost does a lot of the talking. And also Luckily we got to use notes. But notes don't really help you understand what the other person is saying when they talk a million miles an hour. But we got through the lesson and he agreed to see us again so we taught him again on Saturday and that went a little better. We asked him if he would read the BOM though and he said no he just wants to read the Bible right now so that was a little disappointing. I really feel like he is one of my investigators. Me and my companion pray for him, we teach him to his needs, and I find myself thinking about him all the time and what he needs. It's been a hard but really rewarding experience. We teach him again tomorrow so wish us luck!

Okay so my Spanish. At first I wanted to ball my eyes out becuase I thought I would never ever be able to speak it. It just seems so hard and impossible sometimes. But oh my goodness I have learned so much Spanish it's crazy. The gift of tounges is real!!! I can now pray in Spanish and bear my testimony in Spanish. I say all of my prayers in Spanish now. I want to cry every time I'm saying one though becuase it is so amazing to me that just after this short time I can say a prayer. I still have a lot more to learn but instead of feeling worried that I will never pick it up I know for a fact that I will pick it up.

Okay I'm running out of time and I still need to send you guys pictures. I love every single one of you and I think about you and pray for you every day. Especially my homies Paige, Spencer, Hayden, and my amazing Dad. I miss all of you but 18 months is going to fly by so fast. I just know it. 

Yo se que la iglesia es verdad. Yo se que el libro de mormon es verdad. Yo se que el presidente Thomas S. Monson la profeta verdad. I love this Church and I know its true. I LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU ALL.

Con Amor,
Hermana St John

6 comments:

  1. What a great first letter. Amazing that you can already teach a lesson, pray and bear testimony in Spanish. It will get better and better. I hope you are able to help you companion become more focused on her mission and less on her family and friends. I know that will be very hard, but it will get better. You are the perfect companion for her. I hope things are going well with Efrian. Your service is helping all of us. I send much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoooo! I've been excited to get this all day long. And for whatever reason, I cried like a big baby as I read your letter. It was so great to hear about everything, and I feel super proud of you. I'm glad to hear you're on the MTC campus, and that you like your companion. Poor thing--I hope she gets less homesick soon!! It's got to be hard for both of you to be away from your family, but it'll get better I'm sure. And your name tag story--I LOVE that!! It must be so amazing to pin that on every day and realize what that means. I've heard so much about the MTC from those who have experienced it, and hope I get to follow in your footsteps one day and go there myself! It was also fun to hear you get to see people from B-Town sometimes. That would be awesome!! What's really amazing, is how much you've learned in just a few days!! Keep up the good work and we will keep praying for you. Love you tons!!! I'm feeling your Mom up there just beaming with joy.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so excited when Grams called me and told me she was sending out the e-mail. Yipee! It was so good to hear your experiences. Funny how similar your Spanish experience is to Mason's. He struggled too--You're not alone! :) So proud of you. Love you. Praying for you.

    Ciera

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great to hear from you. I am very excited to get to know you better through your e-mails. Keep smiling!!!! You are going to make it through the Spanish Immersion!!!

    Love,

    Chantel

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay!! Love katelyn so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mu Sweet Hermana,
    I am busting my buttons because of your incredible attitude!! You are going to be such a great missionary, because you have already learned to open your heart to those who are hurting a little. If you continue to progress in your language skills the way you have for the first week, you will knock 'em dead in Houston!! I loved reading your little bit of Spanish, and could even understand what you were saying. As a freshman in high school, I took one year of Spanish. That is a million (at least) years ago! Some things just stick.
    Love you, my dear one,
    G-Pa

    ReplyDelete