Monday, July 22, 2013

Hermana San Juan

WHAT-E'ER THOU ART
ACT WELL THY PART


From: Katelyn St John, Monday, July 22, 2013 11:06 AM

Hola familia y amigos!

So you know when you go to write in your journal or something and can't remember anything that had happened that week or even that day...well that is how I feel right now haha. But I wrote down a couple of things I wanted to tell ya'll so hopefully I can remember more as I type!

First thing ya'll is such a catchy word! Everyone, and I mean everyone, says it here. And so therefore I am now saying it because I want to fit in, obviously. I never thought this day would come but I do say ya'll. People's accents here are awesome. Gotta love the South. 

Okay, so funny story. The other night we were going over to eat at a member's house for dinner and me and my companions thought it would be way funny if we told the three little boys that I was deaf because it was my first time meeting them. So we were walking up to the house and the 3 boys were outside playing.  Hermana Arcila introduces me to them in "sign language" and they were like WOAHH she's deaf! So me and my Hermanas talked back and fourth to each other in "sign language" for a little bit and the little boys thought we were so cool. They kept asking Hermana Seely how to say certain words in sign language so that they could talk to me and she would just make up random signs. haha It was SO hard not to laugh. And it was way hard to remember all the signs we said means what. haha Eventually we told them the truth but it was so funny.

So this week there have been lots of miracles! 

Miracle 1: We were walking over to an investigator's house to teach and as we were walking Hermana Arcila got a feeling that we should stop at this house that we were about to pass. So we knocked on the door and a teenage Hispanic girl answered the door. She saw our name tags and was like, "Oh sorry we already have a religion we are not at all interested in your church." You could tell that she really wanted us to leave. But we gave each other the "look" that means we should keep trying because we all had a really good feeling about this house. So we made conversation with her. Just simple things like where do you go to school...how many siblings do you have..stuff like that. And by the end she totally opened up to us and invited us over for another visit. We were so excited. So we went back yesterday and taught her about the restoration. The spirit was so strong I know that she could feel it. We asked her if she would say the prayer at the end of the lesson and she said, "Thank you for sending these amazing hermanas to me and I am looking forward to our next visits." I couldn't help but smile. She went from being very standoffish to us to opening up to us and inviting us back to her home. She even wants us to help her paint her room! It's amazing what the spirit can do and the hearts that it can touch. I am looking forward to our next visits with her too.

Miracle 2: So on Saturday last week we were walking to another appointment and we saw three boys sitting on their porch. They were Hispanic so we decided to go talk to them. We found out their names are Miguel (who is 19), Alfonzo (who is 17), and Alex (who is 14). Alfonzo and Alex are brothers. We also found out that they just moved here from Mexico about a month ago and while they were in Mexico they actually met with Mormon missionaries a couple times! So we talked with them for a while and then we set up another appointment with them for the next day at the park down the street. We honestly didn't think they were going to show up, but sure enough when we got to the park they were there sitting on a bench waiting for us. We have met with them 4 times and oh man are they awesome. They are probably some of the funniest, kindest people I have ever met. Seriously they are Hilarious. Our last appointment with them I was laughing so hard I was crying. And I love meeting with them because they have really good questions. They really do want to know if this is the true church for themselves. They even came to church yesterday and it was all of their first times going to any church except for Miguel. And guess what.....yesterday I asked them if they would get baptized when they come to know that these things are true and Alfonzo said yes.  The other two were a little bit hesitant but I know that if they pray with real intent and faith that they will get an answer that this is the true church. 

So those are some miracles that happened this week!

Also, oh man I don't know if any of you have been checking the weather in Houston (probably not because why would you?) But it has rained EVERY DAY this week. And on Thursday it was raining SO hard. Like I don't think I have even seen it rain that hard in my life. President Crawford wouldn't let us leave our apartment in cars that's how hard it was raining. So since we couldn't go to our appointments we decided to go play in the rain haha. It was so much fun! I was completely drenched by the time we came back inside. Warm rain is the best!

Okay, also I keep forgetting to tell you guys! A sister in my district in the MTC, Hermana Barlow, has an album on iTunes and had a couple videos on YouTube that are pretty popular! You should check them out for me and tell me how they are! Her name is Carli Barlow and her popular song on YouTube is called "Two Years". She played us the live version our last day at the MTC actually! It is SO good. Check it out. And it's actually about missionaries!

So the food here is so good - oh my gosh. I love Hispanic food. But the food is way spicy sometimes and I'm still getting used to that haha. One of the members told me to eat this tiny green thing and was like "It's not spicy, just try it," so I did and it was SO spicy my whole head was burning haha. Why do people think it's so funny to play tricks on me?! But other than that the food is awesome.

So this week I had a little break down (Don't panic). It was during Spanish study and I just started to bawl. And my companions rushed over to me. I was just to stressed out because SPANISH IS HARD AND I WANTED TO PUNCH SOMEONE. Not really punch someone but you know....Ahh sometimes you just gotta let it out. It's just hard because I just want to know Spanish right now so I can talk to these people and help them the best way I can. But my amazing companions helped me realize that I just need to be patient with myself and have faith and it will come. 

This is the true Church. I know Joseph Smith saw what he said he saw. I know that if we pray with faith miracles can happen. I love you all so much. Thank you for all your letters and e-mails and love. I seriously have the best family and friends in the world. LOVE YOU ALL.

Love,
Hermana San Juan (what everyone calls me because they can't say St John)  

Now here are the pictures she sent today with her comments.  They are mostly of her last few days in the MTC. I love pictures, so I have to post them.


These are pictures of my district and our AWESOME! teachers.  Oh and a pic of the ceiling in our classroom.  Nifty right?  We had a celestial room.  


Fourth of July!  Oh and me and Camrie Smith.  Man do I miss seeing her every day. 





My District at the map. 


 Our District singing "God Be With You 'till We Meet Again" 
as our goodbye song at our Zone!


Okay, this is Sister Price. Ahhh I love her so much.  She was my MTC mom.  I miss her already. 


Me and Hermana Shannon on the bus heading to the airport!


Okay so this old man is my FAVORITE.  He is the dad of a member in our branch and he is not a member. So we have been teaching him a little bit.  But it's hilarious because he always just randomly whips out his harmonica and starts playing! Even in the middle of our lessons!  haha  It's so great.


Happy one week anniversary to us!

1 comment:

  1. This email touched my heart. The two miracles are wonderful. There is nothing better than being an instrument in the hands of the Lord to bring truth and a better life to people who are receptive. I'm so glad you have the two companions you have. They seem like patient, loving, wonderful girls. Remember to be patient with yourself - the Spanish will come. I'm sure it is not coming as quickly as you would like because your message is so important and you want to express your feelings with no barriers. That will come soon, and in the meantime the Spirit will make up the difference. I love getting your email. They sound just like you talking. I miss you so much, but I am also so glad you are on your mission.

    ReplyDelete